Sunday, April 8, 2012

Mommy & Daddy











.



It's amazing how easily Michael and I started referring to ourselves as Mommy and Daddy since I don't think either of us had ever conceived of ourselves as such, even during pregnancy. Being parents is amazing because Jane is so sweet. We also feel tense all the time! Last night, she slept well after her middle-of-the-night feeding, which was a wonderful blessing, but I still couldn't sleep because I kept listening for her. She makes sweet little sounds in her sleep that I haven't gotten used to hearing yet--thinking they might escalate into a cry. We love our little sweetie so much already; it is almost overwhelming to think we are responsible for her (we, who know nothing!). She is so delicate and precious, and we just want to do it right and protect her little self. Michael is amazing--he is a natural baby whisperer, so gentle. I think things have gone pretty smoothly, but I feel like I am sleepwalking a bit. I guess parenting is always trial by fire and learn as you go, and no one can master it ahead of time. I read it described as the greatest experience of both joy and terror you can have, and also the most life-changing event, and it definitely seems true. Because of all that, it is basically beyond comprehension and impossible to put into words. I am in awe of all the people I know who are parents, especially those with multiple children.

Here are some pics of the new Mommy and Daddy. A few of them are from our "celebration breakfast" provided by the hospital.

4 comments:

  1. Denise, congratulations! She is absolutely gorgeous. I love, love, love her name. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, I really enjoyed my time with your little family, and I came away with absolute conviction that you and Michael are naturals at the parenting thing. You are a natural at nursing her, and Michael is truly a great baby-whisperer. From here you will grow as parents into other phases, as Jane grows up. I do have some concerns that Michael is so smitten with that little baby that he will never find it in himself to discipline her when the time comes. That will be interesting to see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwww! I love seeing you as a Mommy! Jane looks (and sounds) like a sweetheart. Being a parent is the most amazing thing in the world. I remember the feelings you describe. It just keeps getting better and better. I love checking this for updates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these pictures so much! I especially like the one of Michael looking down at Jane and Jane looking up at him... so sweet!!!! So excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete